About the Leadership in Senior Living Program
The Leadership in Senior Living Program equips current and aspiring leaders with the skills they need to effectively lead high-functioning teams and support person-centred care in today’s senior living sector. The program includes five online courses where learners engage in group discussions, examine real-life scenarios and learn from leading experts. Program graduates foster individual, team and organizational success, creating senior living environments where everyone thrives.
Throughout the program, learners will gain expertise in:
- Philosophies of care with an emphasis on a social model of living
- Geriatric principles including person-centred care, domains of well-being, ethics, and palliative approaches
- Emergency planning including the impacts of COVID-19 and other outbreaks
Course topics include:
Leadership Approaches in Senior Living
This course examines how leaders can support a culture of aging well through the promotion of their organization’s mission, vision and values. Learners will examine the characteristics and approaches of effective leadership theories, models, and frameworks.
Customer Experience and the Culture of Aging in Senior Living
This course examines leadership strategies and approaches that can be used to foster change for aging well and supporting high-quality person-centred care. Learners will develop coaching and feedback techniques and strategies to optimize team performance and drive high-quality care.
Leading Evidence-Informed Decision-Making in Senior Living
This course will provide learners with the knowledge and capabilities to lead evidence-informed decision-making in senior living environments. It will examine best practice, tools, strategies and resources to guide high-quality living.
Leading Teams in Senior Living
This course explores influencing factors that contribute to healthy team dynamics. It will examine strategies to foster communication, optimize collaboration, and facilitate constructive conflict to optimize team growth and development.
Quality and Sustainability in Senior Living
This course will provide strategies to support ongoing quality assurance and improvement with a focus on innovation and using organizational data to guide decision-making. Learners will guide continuous self-improvement and identify strategies for recognizing individual and organizational success.
- Newly redesigned to provide an engaging online learning experience with the latest best practices in leadership for senior living.
- Flexible schedule where learners complete course work at their own pace, committing approximately 3 hours a week.
- Graduates receive a Certificate of Achievement from Conestoga College.
- The program meets Ontario requirements for a program of instruction for Administrators in the Regulations under the Long-Term Care Homes Act.
The Leadership in Senior Living Program was co-developed by Conestoga College and the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging.
- Learners typically complete the program in 6 months, committing approximately 3 hours per week to coursework.
- $1,600 per learner plus a $30 program application fee
To learn more about this program or to register for the next available session, visit Conestoga College’s website.
For additional questions, contact the Leadership in Senior Living Program.
Date created: Launched in 2009, updated in 2021