CHOICE+ is an innovative program that aims to improve the mealtime experience for residents in long-term care. It focuses on developing relationship-centred practices and enhancing the dining environment.
The program is made up of six principles:
- Connecting: having meaningful conversations and socializing
- Honouring Dignity: respecting decisions, choices and preferences
- Offering Support: supporting residents based on individual needs
- Identity: knowing and accepting residents as unique individuals
- Creating Opportunities: supporting active mealtime participation
- Enjoyment: creating a warm and welcoming dining environment
As part of the program, two user-friendly checklists were created to help teams in long-term care work towards achieving the CHOICE+ principles:
- Mealtime Practices Checklist – Encourages person-centred practices at mealtimes
- Dining Room Checklist – Helps to make dining rooms welcoming, comfortable, and enjoyable
These self-assessment checklists encourage team members to reflect on their current mealtime practices (e.g., “Are we honouring residents’ seating preferences?”, “Are we greeting residents by their preferred name?”, “Are we describing food choices clearly?”), and provides examples of how to apply the principles in practice.
Long-term care teams can use the checklists to:
- Understand their current strengths in supporting residents at mealtimes
- Get ideas of simple strategies to try in their day-to-day practice
- Spark discussion at team meetings and help develop plans for practice change
The checklists are also available in French.
Date created: 2017