CHOICE+ is an innovative program that aims to improve the mealtime experience for residents in long-term care. It focuses on developing relationship-centred practices and enhancing the dining environment.
The program is made up of six principles:
- Connecting: having meaningful conversations and socializing
- Honouring Dignity: respecting decisions, choices and preferences
- Offering Support: supporting residents based on individual needs
- Identity: knowing and accepting residents as unique individuals
- Creating Opportunities: supporting active mealtime participation
- Enjoyment: creating a warm and welcoming dining environment
As part of the program, online education modules were created to help teams in long-term care understand and work towards achieving the CHOICE+ principles.
There are six online modules, one for each principle. The modules can be viewed on a computer, tablet, or smart phone, and include short videos, interactive checklists, and self-reflection questions. Each module takes less than 3 minutes to complete.
Long-term care teams can use the CHOICE+ education modules to:
- Learn about the CHOICE+ principles and the importance of creating an enjoyable mealtime experience
- Get ideas of simple strategies to try in their day-to-day practice
- Spark discussion at team meetings and help develop plans for practice change
Date created: 2017