CHOICE+ is an innovative program that aims to improve the mealtime experience for residents in long-term care by focusing on relationship-centred practices and enhancing the dining environment. Two user-friendly checklists and six online education modules are available to help teams in long-term care improve their mealtime practices.
CHOICE+ is an innovative program that aims to improve the mealtime experience for residents in long-term care. It focuses on developing relationship-centred practices and enhancing the dining environment.
The program is made up of six principles:
- Connecting: having meaningful conversations and socializing
- Honouring Dignity: respecting decisions, choices and preferences
- Offering Support: supporting residents based on individual needs
- Identity: knowing and accepting residents as unique individuals
- Creating Opportunities: supporting active mealtime participation
- Enjoyment: creating a warm and welcoming dining environment
As part of the program, two user-friendly checklists and six online education modules were created to help teams in long-term care improve the mealtime experience. Teams can use the CHOICE+ tools to:
- Understand their current strengths in supporting residents at mealtimes
- Get ideas of simple strategies to try in their day-to-day practice
- Spark discussion at team meetings and help develop plans for practice change
Explore the CHOICE+ tools (see links below or download PDF files in More Information):
- Mealtime Practices Checklist – Encourages person-centred practices at mealtimes
- Dining Room Checklist – Helps to make dining rooms welcoming, comfortable, and enjoyable
- CHOICE+ Education Modules – Introduces the CHOICE+ principles using videos, checklists, and self-reflection.
Date created: 2017