I'm Still Here is a powerful research-based play that captures important aspects of, and deepens understanding about, the dementia journey from the perspective of persons living with dementia and their family partners in care. A DVD copy of the performance and an accompanying Learning Guide are available to order.
This education program focused on dementia care was designed to make learning more accessible and convenient for all those working in the sector. Using the CD-ROM, learners, on their own or in groups, work through 10 learning modules each focused on a different topic related to dementia care. The education program utilizes video clips, stories, poetry, songs, exercises, and hand-outs to illustrate the material presented in the modules. A facilitator guide is also available and can be used in a variety of settings to teach major concepts related to dementia and dementia care.
The 10 modules included in the CD-ROM are listed below:
- Overview of Dementia
- Living with an Illness Causing Dementia/ Experience of Dementia
- Care Models and Providing Quality Care
- Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Responsive Behaviours in Dementia
- Assessment in Gero-Psychiatry
- Interventions for Persons with Dementia/Improving Quality of Life
- Ethics of Dementia Care
- Understanding the Family in the Dementia Context
- Reducing Care Provider Stress and Burnout
This tool is a wonderful learning resource for individual staff working in community programs or long-term care settings. In addition this tool can be used by persons working in public service settings (e.g., transit workers, police, etc.) interested in learning more about dementia. Family and friends of persons living with dementia will also benefit from the information, interactive activities, and reflective exercises.
Here’s what people are saying:
“I was very impressed with this exceptional program. It is well constructed, informative, offers a variety of formats and links to other relevant websites. I very much like the program and could see a multitude of uses – libraries, families, healthcare workers, nursing and other professional schools. It could even be developed into a long distance educational course. Congratulations to all who worked on putting this together. You have come up with a fine product.”
– With Thanks. Jill Herne, Director of Patient Care & Chief Nursing Officer, Homewood Health Centre
The CD-ROM can be purchased online through the University of Waterloo Book Store as an individual self-learning tool or as a facilitator package. Available products:
- CD-ROM education series ($69.00 CDN)
- CD-ROM education series and Facilitator Guide ($115.00 CDN)
- CD-ROM education series and Facilitator Guide ($183.00 CDN)
- Additional Facilitator Guide ($43.00 CDN)
Date created: 2006