Culture change is a collaborative, process-oriented journey that is guided by shared values and supported by an organization’s positive qualities. A truly collaborative culture change journey seeks to honour, celebrate, and build on an organization’s strengths with the objective of enhancing the capacity of staff and volunteers to support quality of life and care for older adults.
Excellence in Resident-Centred Care (ERCC) courses build practical skills using a person-centred approach. The courses are designed for personal support workers and other team members in seniors care. ERCC covers a number of key topics including, palliative care, safety and mobility, continence, infection prevention and control, oral care, nutrition and hydration, and pain and comfort.
The goal of ERCC is to support better care and better outcomes for older adults. ERCC has been shown to:
- Increase team member self-confidence
- Increase team member job satisfaction
- Increase team retention
- Improve team morale
ERCC uses a train-the-trainer model. Select PSWs complete the ERCC Trainer Course to become Trainers and deliver the ERCC Team Member Course to others within their LTC home. The education is delivered by Conestoga College with online registration and online portions of the course delivered through the easy-to-use eConestoga platform.
Organizations that train 70% or more of their team receive special recognition and a certificate from Conestoga College.
ERCC Trainer Course
The ERCC Trainer Course is for engaged members of the team who have interest in training their peers in ERCC. The course includes:
- 16-hours of online learning
- Completed online through eConestoga
- Must be completed before the in-class workshop
- Can be completed over time, on a schedule that works for the individual and the home (e.g., in 4 sittings at 4 hours each)
- 8-hour in-class workshop
- Workshops take place in locations across Ontario; date and location for workshops are assigned to each LTC home based on proximity
Upon completion of the course, Trainers are certified and have access to the education and materials through eConestoga to deliver the ERCC Team Member Course for 2 years before needing recertification.
ERCC Team Member Course
The ERCC Team Member Course is organized and delivered in-house by the newly certified Trainers. The course includes:
- 12-hour in-class workshop
- This takes place at the LTC home
- Typically, 1-2 Trainers deliver a face-to-face session to groups of 10-20 PSW team members
- Team members are required to complete 7 modules during the course (modules 1 and 12 are required)
For information on admissions, cost and registration, please contact:
Regina Dryngiewicz | email@example.com | 519-748-5220 ext. 3635
For course information, please contact:
Date created: 2009