The Excellence in Resident-Centred Care courses (ERCC) provide team members working in senior living with practical skills in person-centred care. There are 15 modules covering key topics, including working as a team, nutrition and hydration, and infection control. ERCC uses a train-the-trainer model to build internal capacity. The courses increase team member self-confidence, job satisfaction and morale. ERCC was co-developed by Conestoga College and the Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging.
ERCC uses a train-the-trainer model. Select PSWs complete the ERCC Trainer Course to become Trainers and deliver the ERCC Team Member Course to others within their organization. The education is delivered by Conestoga College with online registration and online portions of the course delivered through the easy-to-use eConestoga platform.
ERCC has been shown to:
- Increase team member self-confidence
- Increase team member job satisfaction
- Increase team retention
- Improve team morale
ERCC Trainer Course
The ERCC Trainer Course is for engaged members of the team who have interest in training their peers in ERCC. The course includes:
- 16-hours of online learning
- Completed online through eConestoga
- Must be completed before the in-class workshop
- Can be completed over time, on a schedule that works for the individual and the home (e.g., in 4 sittings at 4 hours each)
- 8-hour in-class workshop
- Workshops take place in locations across Ontario
Upon completion of the course, Trainers are certified and have access to the education and materials through eConestoga to deliver the ERCC Team Member Course for 2 years before needing recertification.
ERCC Team Member Course
The ERCC Team Member Course is organized and delivered in-house by the newly certified Trainers. The course includes:
- 12-hour in-class workshop
- This takes place within the organization
- Typically, 1-2 Trainers deliver a face-to-face session to groups of 10-20 PSWs or other team members
- Team members are required to complete 7 modules during the course (there are 15 modules available with some modules required)
For course information, please contact:
Date created: 2009