Did You Know?
- As we age, we generally need fewer calories than we did when we were younger, but we still need the same amount of nutrients.
- Most older adults are not consuming enough key nutrients to stay healthy.
- The best way to get the nutrients our bodies need is through the foods that we eat. It is important to choose foods that are rich in nutrients (i.e. nutrient-dense).
- Nutrient-dense foods are high in nutrients but relatively low in calories.
- Eating a nutrient-dense diet helps older adults stay healthy and independent.
Nutrition in Disguise Recipes
A collection of tasty recipes enhanced with key nutrients for older adults
The following recipes were created as part of the Nutrition in Disguise project. Each recipe card describes how to prepare the item. It also explains how the key ingredient in disguise makes the recipe more nutritious.
Download the full recipe set:
Download individual recipes:
Sources of Key Nutrients for Older Adults
A resource for Food Services Teams
This resource lists 10 ingredients that are good sources of nutrients for older adults. Each ingredient can be easily added to different recipes. To help older adults enjoy a nutrient-rich diet, Food Services Teams can try using more of these ingredients.
Download the resource: